Between 1696 and 1732, there were no formal schools in Voluntown. Though town government
was officially organized in 1721, it was several years before a circulating school was organized and a
schoolmaster hired at the town’s expense. In 1735, it was ordered that the school be kept in four places,
three months in a place. The master, John Dunlap, was given thirty pounds (money) and enough meat,
drink, washing and lodging for keeping schools eleven months and eighteen days.
The first schoolhouse in town was built in 1737, four rods from the northwest corner of the Line
Meeting House. In 1766, there were thirteen official school districts in Voluntown, each under the
supervision of a “grand-school committee-man” appointed by the town. Wylie School was one of those
These small school districts slowly combined and eventually all students came to a school located
on the present school site. The original Voluntown Elementary School was dedicated in 1953. More
rooms were added through the years until the most current renovations were made that brought the school
to its present size and Pre-Kindergarten through Eighth grade configuration.
The library holds over 10,000 books, along with computers, laser disks, and CD-Rom research
materials. The school colors are blue and gold; the school mascot is the eagle.